Monday, October 18, 2010

O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A

For the first time in four years of college, I got to have a true fall break.  Fall break is a few days every year when most students leave school to go somewhere and enjoy themselves.  I usually have to stay in town and hear about everyone's amazing adventures...but not this year!

This year, I got invited to spend break with two of my best friends and go to one of their hometowns; meaning that I have gotten the opportunity to visit Oklahoma for the first time ever.  And what a time it has been!!  As we arrived right around midnight on Saturday, I had the awe-inspiring experience of seeing one of the most stirring sights of my life: the Oklahoma City bombing memorial against the dark sky.   This brought tears to my eyes and I will never forget it!


Saturday also included another big event in my immersion in Southern culture: Sooner football!  Sadly, we didn't get to watch the game because of some stupid dispute Dish Network was having with Fox.  It didn't matter because the Sooners DOMINATED!  Iowa State University 52-0 (how ironic that they would be playing Iowa while we were on break)  BOOMER SOONER!










Today (Monday), has been spent sharing in yet again another Southern staple: FOOD!!  For lunch, we picked up my friend's mom from work and got BBQ at an incredible restaurant called Earl's (http://www.earlsribpalace.com/) (side note: Earl's is located right next to the world headquarters of....SONIC!)






Then we stopped at really cool gas station/diner called Pops, where you can buy all sorts of beverages from all over the world in pop tab bottles.  The bottles can be seen from the street and it looks like the walls are made of them (http://route66.com/)






We ended the day with dinner at a place called Braums that is a well known dairy chain that has locally made ice cream.  It reminded me of the Umpqua dairy chain that we have back home (http://www.braums.com/)







I have had such a WONDERFUL time in Oklahoma and have really felt at home.  What an incredible fall break that I will never, ever forget!  Yes, a Northerner has fallen in love with the South... thanks so much to the Gates family for their warm welcome and generous hospitality!!

No comments:

Post a Comment