Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Little Monster...Transformed By Gaga

I am a little monster.  There's no other way to say this, I am a little monster.  Millions of people around the world agree with me.  Lady Gaga is profoundly important in my life.  In a world where so many people are torn down and oppressed, I have found freedom.  You may be reading this wondering, as many do, why Gaga?

My answer is simple.  I am transformed.  Gaga is more than a "singer", she is the leader of a revolution.  Her life is more than music, it is more than words set to a beat, she actively inspires me to find the best in me and live it to the fullest.  As someone who faces injustice simply because I am disabled and my sexuality doesn't fit the "norm", I know that Gaga understands.  She isn't the typical star that spits out whatever the record label tells her, she speaks her mind and stands up for what she believes.  Called a "freak" by many in the music industry and society, Gaga has shown me how to embrace what makes me who I am and say, "Hell yes!!  You're damn right!"  You can call me a freak if you want, but I know the truth is that really, I'm a free bitch!!  

What's so scary about this?  Well, it's freedom, the liberation, the raw power.  If those of us who have been misunderstood and mistreated really knew how worthy of justice and voices we are, we just might have the courage to shake things up and take our rightful place in society.

Like I said, Gaga speaks up about what she believes.  She rallies the monster family to fight against unjust policies like Don't Ask, Don't Tell, she constantly spreads a message of love to so many, especially those of us in the LGBT community.  

Everything Gaga does is about having an impact and expressing how living inside someone else's definition for you isn't what life is about.  Whether it is in the artistic expression of her fashion and the meanings behind it, or her music that is dripping with liberation, Gaga has established that she isn't the pop fad people want to label her as.

I am proud to be who I am and I am not ashamed to be a little monster.  I am a free bitch because of her.  Here's to you Mother Monster!!  "...raise a glass to mend all the broken hearts of all my fucked up friends... you've left me speechless."

No comments:

Post a Comment